Most food poisoning is mild and goes away after a few days. You can usually assume that you have food poisoning if other people who ate the same food also got sick. It can also be very dangerous.
It could be mild but it is very uncomfortable because it is an illness caused by harmful germs including bacteria, parasites, and viruses.
Some types of food poisoning may be more serious than others. The first symptoms of food poisoning are usually diarrhea, vomiting, and stomach cramps.
The first thing people tell you to do is to call your local health department to report it and help keep others from also getting sick.
Call your local health department? Why? Our health department ignores all calls about people getting sick after eating food from a local restaurant; they are supposed to inspect and supervise them on a regular basis. I know, because it happened to me.
Apparently, those at the health department believe people only get sick of COVID-19 these days because that is the latest fashionable illness in sight.
I called the health department not once, not twice, but three different times to report spoiled meat sold by a local restaurant which is supposed to be inspected and they totally ignored my calls.
Not only did the health department ignore my calls, so did the corporate office of the supposed restaurant and the manager of the place.
This is what actually happened: On my way home one afternoon three weeks ago, I stopped at Jack-In-the-Box located at 1591 South Main Street and picked up two hamburgers and French fries. I had a couple of bites of the hamburger and noticed a strange taste in it. I couldn’t eat any more and threw it away. The other person with me
noticed the same thing.
A short time after that the vomiting started, we then spent the night sitting on the toilet; yes, you guessed right, all night long with diarrhea.
The following day, we had no choice but to call our respective doctors, because we couldn’t get out of our houses.
I tried to call Sandra, the manager of the restaurant, at the number provided to me by an employee (702-764-9595). A very efficient manager who never answers the phone and has a recorded message that proclaims: “The person you called has a voicemail that has not been set up yet.” Very professional.
I called the Jack-in-the-Box Corporate Office in San Diego, California to place a complaint. They don’t take calls from anybody; everything needs to be done online. So that’s what I did.
I received an email from a “Celeste” who apparently is one of those “Alexa” or “Siri” people from the Cellular phones, because she sent a telephone number where I could reach her, but the only message you get when you call that number is, “The office is closed.” It doesn’t matter if you call at 8:00 in the morning, 12:00 noon or 3:00 in the afternoon. You get the same message at any time of the day.
I am not surprised that the manager of the place, the so-called Sandra, never works and never answers her telephone. After all, that’s a problem for the owner of the franchise, if they choose to employ and pay someone who never works.
But, for the corporate office of Jack-in-the-Box to mock their patrons by ignoring a health issue of that magnitude is totally unbelievable!
The worst of the worst is the health department, considering the fact that it’s their duty to inspect food establishments that are health hazards. After all, they need to keep in mind that they are paid to perform a job, and that is not the State or the County paying them, but all of us, the taxpayers, the victims of their negligence.
* * * * *
Perly Viasmensky is the General Manager of the Las Vegas Tribune. She writes a weekly column in this newspaper. To contact Perly Viasmensky, email her at firstname.lastname@example.org