What a waste! Nevada started the race to economic globalization with the most international economy of the 50 states and one of the 10 most recognized brands on the globe (Las Vegas).
Add to that the political advantage of having the most powerful Senator in the entire nation, a man who was also the Kingmaker–i.e., more responsible than anyone else for Obama being President! If ever one state controlled an economic/political juggernaut in American history, this was it.
So why are Las Vegas and Nevada teetering on the edge of a Detroit-style economic cliff?
One reason: Senator Reid. His ideological dogmatism. His narrow concern for his own wealth and that of his children His failure to appreciate the uniqueness of Nevada. His fawning over the two scared-to-death bureaucratic monstrosities which he cultivated to control Las Vegas (Caesars and MGM), while simultaneously driving out the last two of a long line of creative geniuses who have made Las Vegas the planet’s brightest light: Sheldon Adelson and Steve Wynn.
The “Screw Nevada Bill” of J. Bennett Johnston (Democrat Louisiana) did (intentionally)a fraction of the damage that Reid/Obama have done and continue doing by their ineptness and ideological blindness:
1. Their contempt for our own industry, tourism, and the educational and life-transforming experience it provides (including, close your eyes Sen. Reid, S E X).
2. The intentional diversion of Federal travel away from Las Vegas.
3. The taxing of tips (i.e., gifts), a policy aimed directly at Nevada. Does anyone think for a minute that Obama pays taxes on the gifts he receives? No, but the IRS hounds every single mother/waitress in town.
4. The taxing of player winnings at casinos. Macau, our main competitor, hasn’t taken a penny from its customers–and that tiny 13 square-mile, 550,000 population, has $40 Billion in reserves with no debt.
5. Reid’s/America’s Drug War, which single-handedly creates obscene profits for entrepreneurial “criminals” all over the world, but forces its beneficiaries to spend their billions outside of Las Vegas.
6. Insane and fear-mongering visa restrictions on nationals of China (where real wealth is being CREATED and not DESTROYED, as in the Welfare/Warfare State of Reid/Obama/Bush).
A mere 5 million Chinese visitors would double our economy resulting in the rehiring of the 200,000 Nevadans who lost their jobs in 2008, while requiring new hotel construction. Yet, in 2013, Reid/Obama prevented all but 1.4 million Chinese visitors of the 2-300,000,000 ready and willing to travel to America. Their first choice is Las Vegas, but Reid/Obama won’t let them spend in Nevada their share of the $4.5 Trillion in liquid reserves held by the Chinese government.
So who gets the money? Europe ($17 B) and Macao ($40 B) to name two. Is that where they want to go? No.
7. Federal land policies which impede economic development by keeping 85% of OUR land off limits and which allow foreign companies to extract OUR most valuable natural resources for nothing in return, except ecological devastation. Reid/Obama support both policies.
8. Minimum wage policies which obliterate jobs and drive entrepreneurs out of business or into gray- and black-markets. The fact that Reid/Obama have to use the stick of minimum wage laws demonstrates their incompetence: While wages in China have tripled in 10 years, wages in the US are stuck at 1971 levels.
9. Favoring of government and government employees over markets and private sector employees. Even though our tax rate (45 percent) is three times that of our competitors (Macao and Singapore), our economically myopic leaders (actually political opportunists out to buy votes) have borrowed $17 trillion to finance wars and pay the trough feeders–while somehow expecting our children, who will live poorer lives than we (because of the Reid/Obama/Bush Welfare/Warfare state), to pay the bill.
10. Their inappropriate belief in diversification, which requires massive government subsidies and intervention (and politics and corruption), even though Tourism is the largest, fastest growing, ecologically sound, and diverse industry on the planet. And it’s all FREE money; it requires NO Return On Investment and doesn’t have to be paid back–ever! Hello, Senator Reid and Governor Sandoval.
11. OReidcare, which will devastate both businesses and unions, will also destroy full-time jobs, result in fewer people insured. And we will pay more, while getting sicker. While a disaster for the nation, this could end up being the real “Screw Nevada Bill.”
12. The political patronage of Reid has created and nurtured a massive herd of Sacred Cows–political and business cronies who do little more than scratch the backs and underbellies of each other with pay-offs and power stolen from the rest of us.
Reid’s courageous initiative in overcoming his own ideological proclivities to integrate gay people into mainstream life of our society stands in stark contrast to the profoundly negative effect he has had on nearly every other aspect of life in Nevada. Nevada, especially Las Vegas, should be thriving like Macao, Singapore, Hong Kong,and other areas of global significance.
The 2008 “crisis” should have registered as a blip on our charts.
While sad and deplorable, it is essential that Senator Reid get his act together. Otherwise the next CRISIS (collapse of the dollar) could sweep us, along with the rest of the country, into the trashbin of history. This is more than sad.
PS to Senator Reid: NO COUNTRY, not even the US (which was entrusted with providing the global exchange currency) can indefinitely counterfeit a Trillion Dollars per year without provoking a reaction against this robbery by the 7 billion victims of your “Quantitative Easing” hoax and political scam.