By Sandy Zimmerman
(Photos by “Living Well at One Hundred”)
Have you ever thought about how you can live to be 100 or even older? Dr. Darlene Mc Cord, PhD., FAPWCA, has the answer in her very exciting book “Living Well at One Hundred”. Her instructions seem so easy, yet they are just common sense. Dr. Mc Cord discusses everything you need to know about food, medications, stress, nutrients, emotional health, physical health, preventative medicine, and much more, in pages packed with useful information.
The book makes you start thinking, “Is there really something I can do”? She adamantly exclaimed, “That is what my book is about, your personal responsibility for your health, lowering your health risk status, and then going on a journey, not a bad journey, an enjoyable journey to good health.
Dr. Mc Cord recommends, “People should find out their risks, invest the money and listen to what their body is telling them. These are your genes, you have these risk factors and all risk factors are manageable. If you have the risk of diabetes, then with diet, exercise, planning and supplements, most likely you won’t get diabetes.
Start thinking of techniques you can use to take charge of your life in ways that are manageable. It is a journey that has to start, if you drive from Las Vegas to New York, I cannot imagine that you skip checking your car to see whether you have enough oil or the tires are good, and if the breaks are ok? Check all of these things; invest more than 8 hours to check your car. It is simple, not expensive, just a commitment to you personally, but do not be cavalier about your life.
Through personal decisions and lifestyle choices only 25% of everything in your health has to do with our genes. The better news in this equation, if you manage the 75% well, you mitigate the remaining 25%, it is numbers. You are in control of 75%.
How much people would run in a political race if they had a 75% lead on their opponent? It is what you have the day you are born and throughout your life. A 75% chance of succeeding in living a long, long life and probably through management, 75% is an accurate number.
If you want to do anything in life, whether going to college, start a new job, get married, have a family, what you have to do? You have to make a plan. But we do not plan for the most important thing, a healthy life.
Dr. Darlene McCord, PhD, FAPWCA, has works as a biochemist in the field of skin and wound care. She has been awarded two patents and invented six medical devices. Dr. McCord currently has more than 30 skin health products being sold around the world.
Sandy Zimmerman is a syndicated columnist with Show Reviews, Restaurant Reviews, Travel, Spas, Health and Lifestyles. If you have any questions about the article, or would like additional information about Sandy’s columns, please contact Sandy: (702)-735-5974.