O.J. Simpson may have been wrong for not calling the police to retrieve his property from the Palace Station Casino, but many local attorneys and judges have told the Las Vegas Tribune that at the most, he committed a gross misdemeanor punishable with probation, and the newspaper has maintained that his sentence is far too excessive for that crime.
Simpson was excessively punished because those involved in that Las Vegas case have refused to accept the jury’s decision from years ago and continue to look at him as the murderer of his former wife and her friend.
Las Vegas Attorneys Patricia Palm, Ozzi Fumo and Thomas Pitaro, seeking to overturn OJ Simpson’s 2007 armed robbery conviction, filed an appeal with the Nevada Supreme Court last week.
The newest appeal seeking OJ Simpson’s release and a new trial was submitted Wednesday and it is clear his lawyers had a lot to say.
Prosecutors offered a reduced charge with a ten-month sentence in prison, as published in the Las Vegas Tribune, but later it was learned that his previous defense attorney never informed Simpson of the offer.
Lawyer Patricia Palm, who filed the appeal, told the Las Vegas Tribune that she believes they’ll accept the appeal despite the long length of the filing because the State Supreme Court often approves over-the-limit filings.
Simpson, 66, was sentenced to nine to 33 years in prison for the armed robbery of sports memorabilia from a memorabilia dealer at the Palace Station Hotel-Casino.
Lawyers for Simpson are arguing his prior lawyers were deficient at trial and in his first appeal. Judge Linda Bell of Nevada rejected the arguments in November, saying any errors would not have changed the outcome given the “overwhelming” evidence against Simpson.
Testimony in the hearing before Bell revealed that most of the items taken in the 2007 episode were found to belong to Simpson, and according to court records the items have been returned to Simpson.